Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Well, we've arrived!

Last night was our final dress rehearsal for Iolanthe. Despite a few glitches, I think we're in very good shape!

This is a talented group of people, for sure! We have everything in this show from a high school student right up to emerging professional opera singers. Everyone brings their own set of skills and experience to the stage, and it makes for a great product!

It's interesting as the conductor of a show, you do all sorts of work at the beginning, rehearsing the music, letting the singers know what you want, fixing the notes, the rhythms, the dynamics. Then you kinda of become secondary to the director for a while. It's not that you don't have the chance to continue to improve the music, but that you are doing it on someone else's time. So, you have to pick and choose the most important points to discuss and rehearse.

Then, you get to the dress rehearsal and the show is yours again. Conducting is a lot like being a manager. You facilitate the singers to sing the best that they can sing. You give them peace of mind about their entrances. You help them if they forget the words. You shape the music, you control the dynamic. And make no mistake... different gestures produce different results! We're not just waving our arms up there.... really...

Do you want to know what it's like to be driving a bus that large? It's a bit scary. But honestly, it is the most amazing feeling, when you really connect with the cast and they are really connected with you, and you make the most amazing music just with a small gesture. It's sublime. I LOVE it. I love it. I can't say that enough. I feel like I've found my home. I still have lots to learn, but I know this is the right place for me.

So, this is a time of great excitement for me. I get to lead these incredibly talented performers through 8 performances of Iolanthe.

Lucky me! I have the best job in the house!

John Arsenault
Music Director

No comments:

Post a Comment