Friday, August 26, 2011

Singer Spotlight: Rachel Stewart


HMS Pinafore
Singer Spotlight


Rachel Stewart

Name: Rachel Stewart

Voice Type: Soprano

Role: Josephine

Hometown: Abbotsford


Is this your first time performing with DD?

This is my second time. Last year I played Naomi, one of the stepsisters in Cendrillon.

Favourite thing about the role you are playing?

Josephine has a personality. She has actual human conflicts and dilemmas. She wants to follow her heart, but she wants to please her father. Also, she has more high notes than some of the other G&S roles I’ve played ;)

Where did you find inspiration for this role?

The Simpsons’ Sideshow Bob of course, from his one-man show of H.M.S. Pinafore, performed as Bart’s ‘last request’..

Favorite part of this opera?

It changes all the time. We just staged the trio “Never mind the why or wherefore”, and I think this is now my favourite part to do. I get to dance and act just a tad sloshed.

What are your rituals before a performance?

I like to run through any spoken dialogue or any tricky lyrics in my head a few times, stretch, take a walk if possible. Hang out by myself for a bit. Also, I am pretty picky about what I will or won’t eat in the day or hours leading up to a performance.

What is your favourite opera?

That’s a hard one… I don’t know that I really have a favourite opera. Favourite arias and PARTS of operas perhaps. At the moment, if I had to choose I would say either La Boheme or La Traviata.

Ever been as
ked to do something strange onstage?

I don’t know that I’ve been asked to do anything super strange. Some things were strange in the moment, or perhaps a little awkward at first, but not really strange compared to some things I have seen or heard of other singers/actors being asked to do.

What's the most difficult thing you've done onstage?

I was supposed to shuffle cards during the ‘card trio’ in Carmen. I Tried. I practiced. But, to this day, I still can not shuffle cards without flinging them haphazardly.


Favourite role you've ever played?

Probably Adele from Die Fledermaus.

(NOTE: She was a fantastic Adele... I happen to have been conducting that performance)

What is your favourite activity that has nothing to do with singing classically?

Probably reading. Or hanging out with animals. Both at the same time is great.

Coffee or Tea?

I am english. I drink a lot of tea. I even wrote an essay about tea in English 101… I do drink coffee when I am out though.

Do you have a secret talent other than singing?

I can say things backwards. Words. Short sentences etc. I saw someone do this on Ellen once… she totally stole that talent from me…

You're trapped on a deserted island. What three luxury items do you hope you have with you?

A dilemma that I have actually put waaay too much thought into at various times. What constitutes a luxury item? What about a luxury yacht? Can I have a magical book that turns into a new novel every time I reach the end? A camera with a never ending battery supply and memory would be wonderful.

Tell us a joke.

I would, but it doesn’t work unless I do the bad scottish accent.

Any upcoming performances you want to share?

I will be playing the role of Adina in Donizetti’s L’eslisir d’amore this November with Vancouver Island Opera.

(NOTE: I happen to be conducting that performance as well, in fact three of our singers, Rachel Stewart, Harout Markarian, and Jason Cook will all take lead roles in the Vancouver Island Opera production of L'Elisir D'Amore. It's a fully staged opera with a wonderful professional orchestra to back up these singers!)

Rachel is a beautiful Josephine, great singer, great character, and the fact that she's British is icing on the cake! Come see this wonderful performer - only three performances left!

No comments:

Post a Comment