Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Singer Spotlight: Nickolas Meyer


HMS Pinafore
Singer Spotlight


Nickolas Meyer

Name: Nickolas Meyer

Voice Type: Bass

Role: Carpenter/Boatswain

Hometown: Courtenay, BC

Is this your first time performing with DD?

Yes!!

Favourite thing about the role you are playing?

Getting to experiment & play with different characters that a bass normally wouldn’t do.

Where did you find inspiration for this role?

I definitely have multiple personalities in this show. My obvious inspiration comes from Bubbles (Trailer Park Boys), Blanche Devereaux (Golden Girls), Lorraine (Mad TV, and Patsy & Eddie (Absolutely Fabulous)

Favourite part of this opera?

Being with my Lass, Miss Lady Pasty aka Carolyn Barker.

What are your rituals before a performance?

Not much, just watching what I eat and drink that day. Avoiding anything super flem inducing or full of caffeine.

What is your favourite opera?

Anything with a great Bass role!

Ever been asked to do something strange onstage?

Ummm wear coke bottle glasses and expect to dance! To see if I am successful, come see the show ;)

What's the most difficult thing you've done onstage?

Having to do an extremely choreographed dance routine in West Side Story.

Favourite role you've ever played?

The more I get to explore and develop the character, the more I enjoy playing Sarastro (The Magic Flute)

What is your favourite activity that has nothing to do with singing classically?

I love photography, cooking (NOT baking) & spin class!

A lot of singers have day jobs…do you?

I do! I am a waiter

Coffee or Tea?

Both and ALL. I love anything coffee and every type of tea.

Do you have a secret talent other than singing?

I am pretty handy with my tools! I’ve had to fix our washer twice and the garbage disposal three times!

You're trapped on a deserted island. What three luxury items do you hope you have with you?

Fishing Rod, Scissors, and my partner Riley. Pretty sure I would only need those three things to live a happy life in the middle of nowhere

Tell us a joke.

I don’t know any so I googled one and laughed the hardest at this one …

Q: What is the difference between a Wagnerian soprano and an All-Pro offensive lineman?
A: Stage makeup.


Any upcoming performances you want to share?

I have an exciting engagement with City Opera Vancouver and will be returning to UBC Opera this Fall. Stay tuned @ www.nickolasmeyer.com for more details!!

Nickolas is a VERY talented young bass - a fantastic singer and a very very funny man. Don't miss your chance to see Nickolas in action - just four performances left!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my I wish I could, yes he is an amazing young man, a talented singer, and the best son parents could ask for! Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete