Friday, August 12, 2011

Singer Spotlight: Megan Bryden


HMS Pinafore
Singer Spotlight


Megan Bryden

Name: Megan Bryden

Voice Type: Lyric Soprano

Role: Cousin Hebe

Hometown: Now Burnaby but originally, Victoria B.C.

Is this your first time performing with DragonDiva?

Yes, and looking forward to ma
ny more!

Favourite thing about the role you are playing?


Being the only person in the whole show that does not “swear” if you could call ‘damn me’ a swear word??

Where did you find inspiration for this role?

Still in progress but toying with the idea of Janet from the T.V. show, Friends. She’s so irritatingly attentive!


Favourite part of this opera?

Can’t wait to see the costumes!! Musically, the men sing a Glee song called “A British Tar” and I love that bass line!

What are your rituals before a performance?

Warm-up, A light meal, lots of water and apple slices to munch on right before.

What is your favourite opera?

That’s a three way tie: La Boheme, Magic Flute and La Traviata

Ever been asked to do something strange onstage?

Although fairly commonplace in opera, Mimi was my first dying experience and it felt pretty weird. But as far as weird things go, I once played a harem girl in the chorus of Handel’s Giulio Cesare. The women’s chorus was given self tanner that we had to put on daily so we were all really dark for the show. Unfortunately the tanner was more orange than brown and we all ended up being coloured orange for the entire run of the show!

What's the most difficult thing you've done onstage?

Acting drunk while doing the can-can and singing the Czardas.

Favourite role you've ever played?

Mimi, I love that Mimi was a real person (although the story is a bit different). Puccini shows her emotional state so thoroughly in the music. I will never tire of singing that music.

What is your favourite activity that has nothing to do with singing classically?

Right now it’s running. Ran my first 10km run last week!!

A lot of singers have day jobs…do you?

My full-time job is looking after my three sons (ages 5,4 and 2) but I also teach voice, beginner piano and just started up my own preschool music program.

Coffee or Tea?

Coooffffeeeeee!!!!!!!

Do you have a secret talent other than singing?

I love teaching young children about music. I also like painting and crafts but I’m not sure I’d call myself talented it.

You're trapped on a deserted island. What three luxury items do you hope you have with you?

My Bible, lots of chocolate, and my iphone.



No comments:

Post a Comment