Friday, August 19, 2011

Singer Spotlight: Kayla Matzen


HMS Pinafore
Singer Spotlight


Kayla Matzen


Here at DragonDiva Operatic Theatre, we have ensemble members that are absolutely of soloist quality. Kayla Matzen is one such talented individual!

Name: Kayla Matzen

Voice Type: soprano

Role: Sir Jospeh Porter's cousin (certainly NOT an Aunt!)

Hometown: Williams Lake

Is this your first time performing with DD?

No, I was lucky enough to sing “Celia” in the 2009 “Iolanthe” with Dragon Diva

Favourite thing about the role you are playing?

I Love the costume!! Dora Brooks is a genius!

Where did you find inspiration for this role?

Well… I think from Katy Perry’s “I kissed a girl”… I’ll leave it at that…

Favourite part of this opera?

The Ladies entrance! Any entrance involving balloons HAS to be my favourite!

What are your rituals before a performance?

Light dinner, warm water, and a dance party with Caroline Barker!

What is your favourite opera?

Anything Puccini, every time I want to have a good cry I’ll put it on.

Have you ever been asked to do something strange onstage?

Besides falling on my face every night? Nope.

What's the most difficult thing you've done onstage?

Dancing a version of “swan lake” while singing like a ‘dainty fairy’… Thanks Johanna Goosen!

Favourite role you've ever played?

Elsie in “Yeoman of the Guard”, Not the typical Gilbert and Sullivan ingĂ©nue, and the role is just lovely to sing!

What is your favourite activity that has nothing to do with singing
classically?

Knitting! At least right now, it changes al the time. Next week it might be sewing!

A lot of singers have day jobs…do you?

Not yet… hopefully once I finish my BEd in June I will be a Elementary teacher

Coffee or Tea?

Tea! You don’t want to see me on coffee!

Do you have a secret talent other than singing?

Secret? Probably not, but if you want me to make anything crafty I will make it! Or at least give it my best shot!

You're trapped on a deserted island. What three luxury items do you hope
you have with you?

My unlimited juiced IPod, my lulu lemon sweater, a library of books.

Tell us a joke.

Why is the tomato red? Because it saw the “salad dressing!”

Any upcoming performances you want to share?

Sadly, this is the last show for me as I finish my degree, but I couldn't imagine going out with a more fun show!

Don't miss the chance for Kayla to make you laugh out loud in HMS Pinafore. Opening night is tonight!

John Arsenault, Music Director/Production Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment