Sunday, August 12, 2012

Meet a DragonDiva - Joey Richie


Joey Ritchie
Radio Announcer
 


Name: Joey Ray Ritchie

Voice Type (if a singer): not a singer…well showertime singing only...

Role: The Announcer

Hometown: Halifax, NS

Is this your first time performing with DragonDiva?

Why, yes, yes it is. Riley called me up one night, not so long ago, when I was in the middle, or nearing the end of, a good bottle of red wine and asked me if I would like to do a part that just seemed so “me”. Naturally I was flattered and accepted immediately.

Favourite thing about the role you are playing in Old Maid and the Thief?

One of the best things is the opportunity to be able to flirt with all, and I do mean all, of the other actors during the back-show. A truly talented troupe of titillators and teases.

Where did you find inspiration for your role?

I love the inflection of the old British Pacific speech that studio actors used to talk: Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Kathryn Hepburn, Bette Davie etc. So them, and all the wonderful old cigarette ads that are still online from the ‘40’s.

Favourite part of Old Maid and the Thief?

Gosh, I love all the parts with me in it… hmmm…but I do also love being in a show that is so endearing and full of beautiful voices - so all of it?

What attracted you to the operatic stage?

The opportunity to work with world-class on-stage and directorial talents.

How would you describe opera to someone who has never seen one?

Sometimes a sound that comes out of a human being can delight your senses so much that the skin on your whole back can tighten and percolate with a wash of joy - I get that from this show.

A lot of singers and actors have day jobs…do you?

I am also a drama teacher and a volunteer for the Vancouver Crisis Centre. I am a student in the process of acquiring my Counseling Psychology Masters…and I serve spinach dip at Milestones on the weekend like a good actor.

Do you have a secret talent other than singing?

I can bounce up and down, quite high, on the floor using only my back muscles.

Favorite non-classical music?

I loooove every schmaltzy ‘70s, ‘80s and ‘90s song ever written. I am a bit of a know-the-lyrics-to-every-song kind of guy.

Any upcoming performances you want to share?

My wedding next August is the most exciting show in town. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment