Saturday, August 11, 2012

DragonDiva - Why Old Maid? Also - an update on DragonDivas of years gone by....

Hello folks!  I thought tonight I would give you a quick update on Old Maid and the Thief, and another piece of DragonDiva news...

First, a little bit about what led us to this show.  This is DragonDiva's 5th anniversary and we have had our ups and downs along the way.  Lots of ups, actually, and more and more coming our way all the time.  But, last year was a hard year.  Our board was burnt out, and we didn't know where we were going as a company.  But, we have a new board this year.  And everyone is very enthusiastic and very much involved in the success of the company.  We also decided we needed to start doing things a little differently if we were going to survive, both economically and artistically.   Those discussions led us to the conclusion that we should produce Old Maid and the Thief - in its original radio opera format.

This show is so aligned with what we originally started out to do - produce operatic theatre, not just operas (thus our name...).  This show is definitely theatre.  We have assembled a very strong cast with strengths in a number of areas.  Each of them is an opera singer or has a love of opera, and it shows.  We have such a committed group of artists to work with, and it's a real pleasure to do so.

And now, some words of praise for our leadership.  As usual, Miss Jeanine Fynn has brought out her creative best in her staging and interpretation of Old Maid.  When she and I started this opera company, we didn't know a thing about each other, only that I was a conductor and she was a director.  Over the years, we have developed an amazing working relationship and friendship.  Sure, we have our spats like an old married couple... but still we have a great mutual respect.  Jeanine is a conductor's dream to work with.  We've always been able to discuss issues and work together to produce a product that works both musically AND dramatically.  This is because we both approach our respective roles as Artistic and Music Director from the same place - that of being opera singers ourselves and knowing full well what it is like to be standing in the shoes of our cast members.  Jeanine has taken her directorial style one step further in Old Maid, creating a "show within a show" and building several layers to the action.  Congrats to Jeanine for another brilliant staging!

I always knew when we started this company that eventually I wanted there to be more artistic influence than just mine and Jeanine's.  But, this was my baby.  How was I going to turn over the reigns to someone else?  Well, last year I finally did.  One day, while singing in an opera at Vancouver Opera, I tuned to Diane Speirs and said "how would you like to conduct HMS Pinafore for us this summer?"  I believe her answer was "yeah, I'd be into that."  And that was that.  I knew instinctively that Diane would be perfect because not only is she a brilliant musician, but she's also a singer, and she is the right kind of person.  It is very important to me that we work in a positive atmosphere at DragonDiva, and I knew that Diane would achieve that.  And she did.  And now, I'm so glad to have her on board as a musical colleague.  She brings a new perspective and whole diffferent set of skills than mine to the table.   I couldn't imagine being happier about turning over the reigns :-)

As for me, yeah, I'm still the Music Director of the company, and yes, I'll conduct again, very soon.  But for now, you'll see me sitting beside Diane, being her "orchestra".

Now for the news... for those of you who don't know, recently Jeanine, I and a number of other DragonDivas attended a wedding.  Yes, Mr. Paul Just and Ms. Carolyn Barker have tied the knot!  And the best part is... they met in a DragonDiva show!  Yes, Paul played Nemorino in Elixir of Love, and Carolyn played Sasparilla, a made-up mute charater that was the assitant to Dr. Dulcamara.  One of the highlights of the show for me was a scene where Carolyn scarfed down a whole cake on stage... but that's a whole other story.   Now they are a happily married couple and we couldn't be more thrilled for both of them.  I think it's a good omen for us...  Congrats to both of you from everyone at DragonDiva!

Please come and see Old Maid and the Thief - you won't be disappointed!!!  I personally guarantee it :-)

John Arsenault
President and Music Director
DragonDiva Operatic Theatre


1 comment:

  1. It has been a thrill for us, as parents of Jeanine, to see DragonDiva not only continue, but to grow and improve. We feel like parents of the company as well and are so very proud of all of you, what you have accomplished, what you bring to the community. I look forward to this show, but also to the future of DragonDiva.

    ReplyDelete