Sunday, August 15, 2010

Singer Spotlight - Kathleen Morrison


Name: Kathleen Morrison
Voice Type: Coloratura Soprano
Role: Fairy Godmother
Hometown: Right now it's Vancouver, but I was born and raised in Calgary, AB

Is this your first time performing with DD? Yes, and I look forward to many more!

Favourite thing about the role you are playing? I feel like I get to put the glitter on the beautiful voices of the chorus of Spirits and Elves that sing with me; as well being the protector of Cinderella!! Plus, I'm pretty sure that every little girl has dreamed of having a Fairy Godmother - I actually get to be her!

Where did you find inspiration for this role? Vocal inspiration for me comes from the great singers; Sutherland, Sills, Damrau, and Dessay. Dramatic inspiration comes from believing that everyone deserves the chance to experience true love no matter who they are, or where they come from. Also, sometimes true love needs a helping hand!

Favourite part of this opera? It is during my second aria in Act III. As the Spirits and Elves are sleeping onstage, the all begin humming and singing, but you can't really tell that they are doing it!! Massenet creates this ethereal atmosphere and is the most calming and beautiful sound to be supported by.

What are your rituals before a performance? A hearty meal, a hot cup of coffee, and a quiet place to focus.

What is your favourite opera? Tough call... it might be a 3 way tie between Strauss' Salome, Mozart's Magic Flute, and Verdi's La Traviata.

Ever been asked to do something strange onstage? Absolutely! Directors can be a strange bunch. I think having a giant, loud bite of an apple during Dorabella's aria from Cosi fan tutte right after her dramatic moment ranks pretty high. Tough to time as well!
What's the most difficult thing you've done onstage? Singing in the pouring rain during an outdoor concert getting completely soaked, trying to keep the music, drama, dress, and hair in order. I ended up taking my shoes off because they kept sinking into the grass!

What is your favourite activity that has nothing to do with singing classically? Enjoying great food, drink, company, and conversation.

A lot of singers have day jobs…do you? I sell watches and sunglasses at a small retail store on 4th Ave.

Do you have a secret talent other than singing? I've been told that I'm a pretty good whistler.

You're trapped on a deserted island. What three luxury items do you hope you have with you? A bubble bath, a good bottle of wine, and my dog Brutus!

Tell us a joke.
How do you know when there's a singer at the door?
They can't find the key and they don't know when to come in.

[ed note: this seems like a popular joke. hmmm...]

No comments:

Post a Comment