Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Singer Spotlight - Andrzej Jeziorski

I love learning new things about the people we work with every day - are they ever interesting people! First up in our new series "Singer Spotlight", Prince Charming himself!

Name: Andrzej Jeziorski
Voice Type: Tenor
Role: Prince Charming
Hometown: Vancouver

Is this your first time performing with DD? No. My first time was as a chorus member in 'Elixir of Love' two years ago.

Favourite thing about the role you are playing? The shameless romanticism of it. There is nothing more important in Prince Charming's life than finding the one person that can make him happy. He'll stop at nothing to make his dream a reality, or die trying.

Where did you find inspiration for this role? In my memories of being a teenager, when it seemed like nothing was more important than finding my one true love.

Favourite part of this opera? The second duet with Cinderella, when we come to plead for help from the Fairy Godmother.

What is your favourite opera? Tchaikovsky's 'Eugene Onegin'.

Ever been asked to do something strange onstage? Not unless you count cracking whips over the heads of harem girls.

What's the most difficult thing you've done onstage? Probably Albert's drunk scene in Britten's 'Albert Herring'. I remember having to stagger, roll around on the floor, fiddle with matches and let my pants fall down, all while counting complex rhythms furiously in my head. Incidentally, that's also one of my fondest performing memories.

What is your favourite activity that has nothing to do with singing classically? Writing and recording rock songs.

A lot of singers have day jobs…do you? Indeed. I'm the editor of an aerospace trade magazine called 'Asian Aviation', published out of Singapore. I've been a reporter and editor since 1992.

Do you have a secret talent other than singing? I have a second-degree black belt in karate, which I earned while living in Singapore.

Tell us a joke.
"I say, I say, I say: what is the secret of great comedy?"
"I don't know, what is the secret of gr..."
"Timing."

Any upcoming performances you want to share? In the coming season of the Vancouver Opera, I shall be singing in the chorus of 'Lillian Alling' and 'La Traviata'.

No comments:

Post a Comment