Sunday, March 13, 2011

Letter From the President


Letter from
The
President

2011 Season
Announcement

Dear DragonDiva Fans and Family,

As the President and founding Artistic Director of DragonDiva Operatic
Theatre, I am so excited to welcome you to our fifth season.  The company
started on a whim four years ago, and now I'm proud to say we have
become a well-known player in the local opera scene.  Each year, we all
work very hard to improve upon our past successes and to provide
increasingly professional quality shows for our performers and audiences.

We try to always include poignant moments that tug at your heart strings,
laugh-out-loud moments that have poeple falling out of their charis, and a
couple surprises to keep people on their toes. Two of my farourite such
moments came from our last production - Cinderalla.


The first time the curtains opened to show
the forest, I gasped, and every night I 
heard the audience do the same.  It was 
so beautiful, and the cast did the change 
so quickly and seamlessly that it really 
did feel like magic.

My favorite poignant moment 
comes from that show as well...
the duet between Cinderella
and the Prince when they are
separated by a wall of clover. 
It brought me to tears every time
Lisa-Dawn Kilthau and Dionne
Sellinger sang it. The torment they
felt was just so believable, and
the blending of those two voices
was gorgeous.




Perhaps my favourite funny moment to date was in the final
performance of Elixir of Love in 2008. Sasparilla
(our invented character - a mute  sidekick to Dr. Dulcamara)
was to come on stage and listen to a scene while eating a
piece of wedding cake.  The final night, the stage manager
gave her what was left - an entire half round of a lemon pound cake. 
Carolyn Barker (who played Sasparilla) took some of the biggest 
mouthfuls I've ever seen, but by the time she left the stage, that cake
was gone.  I couldn't stop laughing at both the absurdity of the situation
and her determination.

 

Both John Arsenault (our founding music director) and I are also singers.
I think that's part of our success when we're building a show...we know
how a singer will react to the things we're asking for,and what their needs 
will be, because we are singers ourselves.  I've yet to join a cast onstage
for our main productions,  but I am lucky enough to join in for our concerts
and fundraising events.

For these reasons and many more, I hope that you will join  DragonDiva
Operatic Theatre in 2011 for our 5th season and stay with us to find out
what happens in the next 5 years of DragonDiva Opera.


                                                Sincerely
                                                Jeanine Fynn
                                                President and Artistic Director
                                                DragonDiva Operatic Theatre

P.S. Stay tuned for our exciting season announcement coming in
just a few short days.


No comments:

Post a Comment